Letter from the new President

Robert Voss

Hello!

Happy holidays and happy New Year! I am proud and humbled to serve as the 2019 Willamette Disc Golf Club President. We are a diverse club, but our members have a couple of very important thing in common: a passion for the sport and a desire to maintain our courses and grow the sport in the greater Corvallis area community. The 2019 Executive Board, including Richard Hervey as Vice President, John Ross as secretary, and Greg Johnson as treasurer, has some exciting things coming up to help achieve these important goals.

I begin this journey with much excitement, and some lofty objectives. Priority number one will be managing our internet presence and public image, and working on community outreach to rebuild our membership and enthusiasm. A successful project to build something is one shared and created with the people who live there. I will work diligently to bridge generations by hearing and responding to member and community concerns, and to hold more events to bring us together. Business must get done, but the social aspect of the club will be a focus going forward.

In December, we had glow golf at Willamette and an Ace race that saw about $450 paid out to the players. We’ve signed up with PDGA as an Affiliate club, have a newly certified TD, and have started the process of sanctioning the Willamette Open. In 2019 we will have the ongoing club projects such as the course maintenance and greens keeping by Bill Gaskill at Willamette and Kelly Christiansen at Adair, and have some fun work parties. Adair has recently undergone a construction project, and though they did a great job or repairing and replacing what they could, there is some work that will need to be done before Festivus. We have a two-division handicap league starting up soon. I also have schemes to get Saturday morning doubles restarted. At a minimum, we will have 4 club sponsored tournaments; we will continue to have Festivus, as well as we will bring back the Willamette Open and President’s Cup, with the Open planned be a sanctioned PDGA event. The Vets Helping Vets Tournament in October was a success and and is planned to return, as well as Scott Withers’ Oktoberfest at Adair. We participated in a school day to introduce middle school aged kids to disc golf that went fantastic, and it sounds like we will do it again, maybe annually. We have a list of course improvements for both Willamette and Adair that we will begin proposing to the city and accomplishing one by one. There will certainly be no shortage of opportunities to participate in 2019!

These are just some of the projects we have going on right now, but we are always looking for new ideas and more members to share in the fun! Our members come from all walks of life and we embrace every age, race, religion, and orientation. Attending one of our meetings is completely free, and all are welcome, so please encourage friends and acquaintances to become new members. I hope to see you at our next meeting on January 7 at Woodstock’s Pizza at 6 PM!

May 2019 be full of peace, prosperity, and many rounds of great golf for you!