From: Bill Gaskill
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [wdgc] Re: Soil for Willamette Hole 8
To: wdgc@...
Date: Friday, September 21, 2012, 11:20 AM

basketball sized hornets nest on 5 neutralized!  also took care of wasp nest on path of 12.
aric and I moved the log pile on hole 6 back into the woods.
andy tovar, aric b., and I removed the downed tree on 14.
I'm going to head out to willy soon.  anyone wanna play a casual warmup round?
billy
On Sep 21, 2012 7:16 AM, "John W. Ross" <johnr414@...> wrote:

Was it a ground nest or up.

Hornets nest up, yellow jackets nest down. Either can be addressed after dark.

Lightly soaped water poured down a yellow jacket hole (5 gals. or so) will encourage them to abandon the nest. I would assume the same for hornets.

Neither can fly at night, at least without light.

Last resort, Steve @ city parks has these large cans with a very aggressive spray and has never been stung. They don't like to fly towards noxious chemicals. Buy a can and apply.

I'm on rest today, unless nobody else will take them on.

Main thing is to determine if the nest is in play, or really at the margins. If it's at the margins, warning tape should do the trick. The other trick is to avoid touching or having anything touch or disturb the nest or vegetation around it. You can get up close, just not personal.

So that's what I know.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Bill Gaskill <billgaskill@...> wrote:

dangit!  well I guess I'm back to trying to get involved in a land war in Asia...
I'm excited to see the new placement!  I'm heading over there tomorrow.
adair is shaping up nicely as well.  aric b. came out today and helped me spread the rest of chip mountain onto the walkout between 6 & 7.  I did some more whacking (easy now) on hole 3 and walkout on 3/4.
we discovered a big hornets nest to the deep right of the berm on 5 (well, the dude who got stung 3 or 4 times did, while aric and I watched, hardly giggling) Good call sticking with the long placement!  I'm going to get some flags out there at least.  anyone know a "bee guy or gal"?
Any other fine tuning that needs to be done at Willamette?
I'm getting pretty stoked for the weekend!
billy