Club officer nominations

John W. Ross <johnr414@...>

WDGC by laws have us nominating club officers at the October meeting, Monday.

It's usually been a fairly spontaneous, casual flagellating of whoever might be willing to stand.

Current President Everett has said and often repeated he is moving on--shipping out.

I personally hope we have five or six candidates willing to step forward for 2013. Maybe they could throw a little money, plastic or beverages around.

But what I would really like to see is some thought going into where people want the club to go--at least a commitment to some kind of vision and the goals, strategies for achieving them and concrete actions or milestones prioritized for importance, magnitude or achievability--perhaps like the "quick wins" from the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition's process.

A lot of famous people, starting with Lewis Carrol of Alice in Wonderland, cautioned that "If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

Yogi Berra paraphrased: "You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there."

Everett Kaser's conclusion was "You're not going anywhere," as of our last meeting over installing new sleeve 8 at Willamette.

Goals might include:
  • Membership targets;
  • Cash reserves;
  • Course improvements;
  • Volunteer participation;
  • Totally new events;
  • Social gatherings;
  • New course (especially at OSU);
  • Team golf competition;
  • Clinics;
  • Whatever else makes us happy golfers.
The more ambitious the better--something to aim for.

More on everything later.

JohnR