Hole 1 at Willamette

kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...>

There is a marker(rebar w/plastic) about 125 feet past the current position. It's in the clearing, past the "wall" of trees.

Let's use that spot to begin a discussion of where a basket location could be put in that general area.

Discuss.
G$

Nathan Sexton

My only input would be to make sure to avoid a "tweener" position. It should still be a somewhat difficult shot from the original #1 basket (A good drive on the hole). I worry that 125 may be too short to challenge a player and too long to have any realistic 2's. If we go back there it should be a clear par 4. What do you plan to do with the walkout?
  Nate

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

There is a marker(rebar w/plastic) about 125 feet past the current position. It's in the clearing, past the "wall" of trees.

Let's use that spot to begin a discussion of where a basket location could be put in that general area.

Discuss.
G$

kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...>

It is probably farther than 125. I didn't measure the distance.
Have you looked at the marker?
It would be very very very hard to get a 2 where the marker sits now.
The walk out would have to be the same as it is...that would give the group a chance to call all "clear"...

Nathan Sexton

I have not seen the marker I just want to avoid a hole that ends up being too many 3's with very few 2's or 4's. I think there is potential for a true par 4 on #1 and I love the idea. Thanks for the work out there!
  Nate

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

It is probably farther than 125. I didn't measure the distance.
Have you looked at the marker?
It would be very very very hard to get a 2 where the marker sits now.
The walk out would have to be the same as it is...that would give the group a chance to call all "clear"...

Mike Gibson

How about a few easier holes?
Mike

I have not seen the marker I just want to avoid a hole that ends up being too many 3's with very few 2's or 4's. I think there is potential for a true par 4 on #1 and I love the idea. Thanks for the work out there!
  Nate
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

It is probably farther than 125. I didn't measure the distance.
Have you looked at the marker?
It would be very very very hard to get a 2 where the marker sits now.
The walk out would have to be the same as it is...that would give the group a chance to call all "clear"...

Nathan Sexton

Easier holes are good too!

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:33 PM, mike gibson <disharoonone@...> wrote:

How about a few easier holes?
Mike

I have not seen the marker I just want to avoid a hole that ends up being too many 3's with very few 2's or 4's. I think there is potential for a true par 4 on #1 and I love the idea. Thanks for the work out there!
  Nate
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

It is probably farther than 125. I didn't measure the distance.
Have you looked at the marker?
It would be very very very hard to get a 2 where the marker sits now.
The walk out would have to be the same as it is...that would give the group a chance to call all "clear"...

4 is easier...with that new badass backhand I've seen you hucking, mike!

On Oct 9, 2012 4:34 PM, "mike gibson" <disharoonone@...> wrote:

How about a few easier holes?
Mike

I have not seen the marker I just want to avoid a hole that ends up being too many 3's with very few 2's or 4's. I think there is potential for a true par 4 on #1 and I love the idea. Thanks for the work out there!
  Nate
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

It is probably farther than 125. I didn't measure the distance.
Have you looked at the marker?
It would be very very very hard to get a 2 where the marker sits now.
The walk out would have to be the same as it is...that would give the group a chance to call all "clear"...

Eric Smith

I believe the placement is as far back as parks will allow. I rarely get a 2 at either placement on hole 1 and I would consider myself an average golfer. I can see myself getting 3s at the new placement and a lot of people getting 4s.

There aren’t a lot of options for making holes longer or shorter but the list we came up with on Friday should make for some nice additions.

My only input would be to make sure to avoid a "tweener" position. It should still be a somewhat difficult shot from the original #1 basket (A good drive on the hole). I worry that 125 may be too short to challenge a player and too long to have any realistic 2's. If we go back there it should be a clear par 4. What do you plan to do with the walkout?

  Nate

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

There is a marker(rebar w/plastic) about 125 feet past the current position. It's in the clearing, past the "wall" of trees.

Let's use that spot to begin a discussion of where a basket location could be put in that general area.

Discuss.
G$

Mike Gibson

You mean "chunking" Billy.

I have not seen the marker I just want to avoid a hole that ends up being too many 3's with very few 2's or 4's. I think there is potential for a true par 4 on #1 and I love the idea. Thanks for the work out there!
  Nate
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM, kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...> wrote:

It is probably farther than 125. I didn't measure the distance.
Have you looked at the marker?
It would be very very very hard to get a 2 where the marker sits now.
The walk out would have to be the same as it is...that would give the group a chance to call all "clear"...

average golfer!?!

on what rating scale? that of "the united sandbaggers of america"?

billy

On Oct 9, 2012 9:25 PM, "Eric Smith" <inspectorsmith@...> wrote:

[...]

You make a great point Mike. My feeling is that we should not try to make Willamette another Adair, i.e, lengthen every hole. Willy is the local begginer/intermediate course and fills that niche nicely.
If the club would like to change that focus, we can discuss that.
Hole one is the only change that significantly lengthens the course. It would also end up being a par 4...you get an extra stroke!

kineticbagel wrote...
You make a great point Mike. My feeling is that we should not try
to make Willamette another Adair, i.e, lengthen every hole. Willy
is the local begginer/intermediate course and fills that niche nicely.
I agree. Every course should have its own 'character.' Rather than
trying to make every course as similar as possible to each other, we
should focus on maintaining the qualities of each course (CAREFULLY
tweaking them to allow as much variety as possible, within certain
bounds), and turn our creative energies on a new course.

Eric Smith

I agree. Willamette doesn’t need to fit into a mold or match up on a chart. Some of the short positions we looked at could turn out to be pretty cool.

> You make a great point Mike. My feeling is that we should not try
> to make Willamette another Adair, i.e, lengthen every hole. Willy
> is the local begginer/intermediate course and fills that niche nicely.

I agree. Every course should have its own 'character.' Rather than
trying to make every course as similar as possible to each other, we
should focus on maintaining the qualities of each course (CAREFULLY
tweaking them to allow as much variety as possible, within certain
bounds), and turn our creative energies on a new course.

Doug Ulfers

I have a little bit of a concern about having the first hole on the course being one that creates an immediate back up of golfers waiting to get started...A backwards walkout would make it even a little slower..For those of us that don't always take the time to warm up, a difficult first hole,( which it already is for old skinny guys), is kinda demoralizing!
Doug Ulfers
P.S. I'm a little reluctant to post any thing on this website for fear of being ridiculed by profane, crazy, cyber-bullies.. (be nice, I'm sensitive)

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:07 AM, Eric Smith <inspectorsmith@...> wrote:

I agree. Willamette doesn’t need to fit into a mold or match up on a chart. Some of the short positions we looked at could turn out to be pretty cool.

> You make a great point Mike. My feeling is that we should not try
> to make Willamette another Adair, i.e, lengthen every hole. Willy
> is the local begginer/intermediate course and fills that niche nicely.

I agree. Every course should have its own 'character.' Rather than
trying to make every course as similar as possible to each other, we
should focus on maintaining the qualities of each course (CAREFULLY
tweaking them to allow as much variety as possible, within certain
bounds), and turn our creative energies on a new course.

kineticbagel <kineticbagel@...>

Doug,
Your concern about a tough(er)first hole is mine as well. I don't warm up much, and usually have to shake the tingle out of my arm. But it would be a par 4, so there is the extra stroke. The walkout is problematic, as the tee for 2 (and two for tea?) is some distance back the other way. Even if we walk out to the road, we'd have to walk backwards down the 2nd fairway....we could reconfigure the whole thing!?!
This is why we're discussing the issue. It's not set in stone.
Hugs,

David <kmc31fly@...>

--- In wdgc@yahoogroups.com, doug Ulfers <doug.ulfers@...> wrote:

I have a little bit of a concern about having the first hole on the course
being one that creates an immediate back up of golfers waiting to get
started...A backwards walkout would make it even a little slower..
Great points Doug, making #1 harder will increase the already regular backups that you have. It would also increase the chance of someone getting hit with a disc with groups throwing/approaching while there is still a group ahead finishing the hole or walking back down the fairway to the walkout.

Greg Johnson

Ok for temporary position for a tournament set up but not with a full course.
There was a pin placement for the old hole 2.  Did that get yanked?