Course Modification Vote Clarification

Jay Sexton

WDGC folk,
Copied below are the course modifications sections of the WDGC by-laws.

I wanted to call to our attention the requirement for 2/3 majority
approval for major modification of the course. The purpose being that
modifications should be clearly seen as advantageous by a majority of the
club.

Attached are the entire WDGC by-laws for anyone interested.

Jay

Modifications of the Course:
There will be a formal process for major modifications of a Disc Golf
Course that the WDGC oversees. This process may be modified for specific
courses in cooperation with the course owning entity.

Major Modifications
Major Modifications are changes which fundamentally effect the play on a
hole and include changes in tee locations, basket locations, fairway
design, path routes, standing course rules (OB or mandos), and signage.
Additionally vegetation removal or branch trimming of trees or shrubs
which physically or psychologically effect the play of any hole shall be
considered a major modification.

Vigilante or rogue vegetation removal is a serious threat to the continued
quality of play on a course and should be discouraged though outreach and
publication of the course modification process.

The process for major modification is as follows:
The proposal is discussed at a WDGC meeting and the details of the change
are described. Markings are placed on the course to describe the proposed
change and the proposed change is publicized through email, including the
time and date of any �on-site� WDGC discussion meeting, and a detailed
explanation of the change and the meaning of any markings on the course.
Photographs placed on the website may help members visualize the proposal.
No sooner than two weeks after the WDGC meeting at which the proposal was
made the club shall vote on the proposal � with provisions for absentee
voting. Two-thirds majority of those members voting is required for a
proposal to be accepted, as the proposal must be clearly seen to be
advantageous by a strong majority. If passed by the membership the
proposal is brought to the course owning entity for their approval � after
which the work is carried out by the membership under the organization of
the course greenskeeper.

Minor Modifications
Minor Modifications include maintenance or improvements to paths, benches,
drainage, clearing or thinning of minor vegetation which rarely effects
discs in flight, replacement of damaged trees or shrubs, plantings of
vegetation to improve the beauty or ecological function of the course
environment.

The course greenskeeper organizes these minor modifications, usually after
discussion at a monthly WDGC meeting. Minor modifications may be
authorized by the course greenkeeper during work parties or other
maintenance activities.

Dion Arlyn

How many of our active membership have participated in the voting process? I have abstained purely because I am not a current member...

On Feb 15, 2014 9:25 PM, "Jay Sexton" <hexagon@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Johnson

There are actually very few club members paid up for 2014, since President's Cup was delayed, they didn't today.  I need to put that list together at least what I have from the last 2 club meetings.  There were some later ones last year that still count too.

Thanks Jay for the recap of the voting rules.  With that, what to do with the log on 10 needs to be restructured to a yes/no vote.  What was originally proposed was 1/2 way. Those that voted to get rid of the whole thing should update our votes.  I vote in favor of cutting it 1/2 way and trying it that way for a while.
Greg

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:36 PM, Dion Arlyn wrote:

[...]

Bill Gaskill

I'll see if I can put a ribbon around it to    get a visual of a decent cut.  then I'll post photo of it.  I'll do that before doubles.

btw...doubles tomorrow, adair, 11am.

thread hijacked...

billy

billy

On Saturday, February 15, 2014 9:36 PM, Dion Arlyn <dionarlyn@...> wrote:

[...]

There you go again Jay, harping on my overzealous whacking of snowberry bushes on hole 9!! That was years ago man, give it a rest! :-)  har

I must admit, I do have some zeal at times that is hard to contain..though my children and the years seem to be siphoning some of it off.

I see what Greg is saying about the three options.  It would be difficult to get a 2/3 majority with more options diluting the vote.

would it fit the spirit of the bylaws to boil the vote down to one of those options, then propose another vote yea/nay for whichever one gets a (run of the mill, not 2/3) majority?  In this particular case, I think we needed those options on the table up front.

a lot of ado for an old, (mostly) dead potential energy having, overhead hazard being, frequent shot "adjusting" old boner tree...

...but great we have such an organization of passionate folks who care deeply about such things and are willing to participate in a democratic process to benefit the community in the best way.

billy

On Feb 15, 2014 10:57 PM, "Bill Gaskill" <billgaskill@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Gibson

Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two thirds of those voting?
Mike

Bill wrote...
There you go again Jay, harping on my overzealous whacking of snowberry
bushes on hole 9!! That was years ago man, give it a rest! :-) har
I must admit, I do have some zeal at times that is hard to contain..though
my children and the years seem to be siphoning some of it off.
Be VERY careful, Billy, it was my overzealousness that got me roped into
being the Adair Greenskeeper for years. And Nate IS going to be leaving
the area soon...

Greg wrote...
Thanks Jay for the recap of the voting rules.  With that, what to
do with the log on 10 needs to be restructured to a yes/no vote.
What was originally proposed was 1/2 way. Those that voted to get
rid of the whole thing should update our votes.  I vote in favor
of cutting it 1/2 way and trying it that way for a while.
My vote was, and remains, not cutting the log at all. (Just to be on
the record, as I'm a paid member...) I feel there's plenty of room
for a well placed shot. Maybe not YOUR preferred shot, but if you
don't have all the irons ...er... plastic... you need in your bag,
that's not the problem of the COURSE. Also, the leaner tree's days
(or years) are numbered anyway, so we might as well enjoy it while
it's there, as it WILL be going away eventually, probably within
5 to 10 years AT MOST, even if we do nothing. Be patient, and you
whiners will get what you want anyway. :-)

Disharoonone wrote...
Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two
thirds of those voting? Mike
Two thirds of those VOTING. The full text of the appropriate section
of the by-laws (which is available on the Yahoo Groups site in
the Files section, in the General Documents folder) is:

[...]

Doug Ulfers

I kinda suspect if the #10 tree is cut off half way, the weight of the root ball will try and stand it back up close to vertical...Do it ..See what happens

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM, <disharoonone@...> wrote:

Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two thirds of those voting?

Mike

Bill Gaskill

yeah, thought about that when I was cutting recent fallen tree on 10- that's what it did....I figured I'd take a chunk off above where I wanted final cut, let it do any moving, then make final cut on angle that looks good.

billy

On Feb 16, 2014 4:54 PM, "Doug Ulfers" <doug.ulfers@...> wrote:

I kinda suspect if the #10 tree is cut off half way, the weight of the root ball will try and stand it back up close to vertical...Do it ..See what happens

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM, <disharoonone@...> wrote:

Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two thirds of those voting?

Mike

Bill Gaskill

a couple stepwise cuts will be safer anyway.

On Feb 16, 2014 6:18 PM, "Bill Gaskill" <billgaskill@...> wrote:

yeah, thought about that when I was cutting recent fallen tree on 10- that's what it did....I figured I'd take a chunk off above where I wanted final cut, let it do any moving, then make final cut on angle that looks good.

billy

On Feb 16, 2014 4:54 PM, "Doug Ulfers" <doug.ulfers@...> wrote:

I kinda suspect if the #10 tree is cut off half way, the weight of the root ball will try and stand it back up close to vertical...Do it ..See what happens

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM, <disharoonone@...> wrote:

Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two thirds of those voting?

Mike

Eric Smith

Or just leave it alone

a couple stepwise cuts will be safer anyway.

On Feb 16, 2014 6:18 PM, "Bill Gaskill" <billgaskill@...> wrote:

yeah, thought about that when I was cutting recent fallen tree on 10- that's what it did....I figured I'd take a chunk off above where I wanted final cut, let it do any moving, then make final cut on angle that looks good.

billy

On Feb 16, 2014 4:54 PM, "Doug Ulfers" <doug.ulfers@...> wrote:

I kinda suspect if the #10 tree is cut off half way, the weight of the root ball will try and stand it back up close to vertical...Do it ..See what happens

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM, <disharoonone@...> wrote:

Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two thirds of those voting?

Mike

Bill Gaskill

well, that's one voting option.

On Feb 16, 2014 6:52 PM, "Eric Smith" <inspectorsmith@...> wrote:

Or just leave it alone

a couple stepwise cuts will be safer anyway.

On Feb 16, 2014 6:18 PM, "Bill Gaskill" <billgaskill@...> wrote:

yeah, thought about that when I was cutting recent fallen tree on 10- that's what it did....I figured I'd take a chunk off above where I wanted final cut, let it do any moving, then make final cut on angle that looks good.

billy

On Feb 16, 2014 4:54 PM, "Doug Ulfers" <doug.ulfers@...> wrote:

I kinda suspect if the #10 tree is cut off half way, the weight of the root ball will try and stand it back up close to vertical...Do it ..See what happens

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:01 AM, <disharoonone@...> wrote:

Is it two/thirds of the membership must approve the change--or two thirds of those voting?

Mike

Mike Gibson

Leaving half a tree only benefits back hand throwers. Should be cut fairly for all if it gets cut.

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:54 PM, Bill Gaskill wrote:

[...]

I would disagree with that assessment Mike.  I think a course should have a balance overall, but there can be definite forehand friendly and definite backhand friendly holes. (ahem...could use a few more backhand friendlies @ Willamette)

Plus, I'm not convinced that a well placed cut wouldn't benefit both.  An open fairway is an open fairway.

whatever throwing style, all would benefit by not having to walk under a 500lb.+, half dead log every time they walk down the fairway...

I know the odds are against it, but widows have been made by such.

billy

On Sunday, February 16, 2014 6:54 PM, Bill Gaskill <billgaskill@...> wrote:

[...]

Also (not to over state my case), but I would also argue that hole 10 has (2) forehand friendly pin positions (the berm, and right position) and only (1) backhand friendly one (straight), boner tree or none.

I know it's one hole I step up to regularly and think "ok, I need to start working on my (non-existent) forehand"

billy

On Feb 17, 2014 4:55 PM, "Bill Gaskill" <billgaskill@...> wrote:

[...]

Oops. Overstated your case. :-) Your first post confirmed your
belief that the course should have some predominantly forehand-friendly
holes, and your second post confirms that #10 is such, and yet you're
arguing that #10 needs to be made more backhand-friendly?

My biggest problem with course changes, over the past 10+ years that
I've been playing (and predominantly at Adair), is that the course
has steadily been getting nothing but easier (with the exception of
Nate's recent hole lengthenings, which is only a plus for the LONG
throwers, not for those who appreciate a more moderate, more technical
game), due to both intentional changes as well as outlaw limb, brush
and tree cutting.

Which is why I drag my feet firmly at most (not all, but most)
suggestions to cut more things that can't ever be replaced.

Mike Gibson

You might change your assessment Billy if the tree you cut in half was rooted on the left side of the fairway and hanging into your "open fairway".
Mike

On Monday, February 17, 2014 4:55 PM, Bill Gaskill wrote:

[...]

Kimberly Halsey

well said, Everett. There seems to be plenty of love for triple mandos during tournaments, but none for the bifurcated hole #10. Leave it be, and please, Billy, stop writing as if it's a foregone conclusion.

Kim

Bill wrote...