Bees on 17 at Adair

I just scanned the meeting notes (something I've not done in a couple
of years :-), and saw mention of the bees on 17 at Adair now being
yellowjackets and maybe something needing done.

Yellowjackets are NOT making new nests at this time of year, they're
breeding queens to overwinter under rocks, lawn furniture, in wood
piles, etc., while the rest of the hive dies out. What you're seeing
is yellowjackets scavenging for food for the queens they're raising.
One of two things is/has happened (I'm a honeybee keeper):

1) The honeybees have (mostly) gone dormant for the winter, reducing
their numbers to just what's needed to keep their queen alive and
help with the rearing of their new brood in January, and the
yellowjackets are scavenging from them, attacking honeybees, killing
them, chewing their heads, legs, and wings off, then flying their
bodies back to the yellowjacket nest for food, and/or stealing the
pollen and honey from the nest.
2) The honeybees have died out (it happens), and the yellowjackets
are scavenging from what's left.

In case #1, you don't want anyone to do anything, or you'll
potentially kill the honeybee hive also. In case #2, the problem
will take care of itself shortly (within weeks, at most) as the
worker yellowjackets die off, leaving only queens hiding out in
nooks and crannies all over the place (but not in that tree, most
likely). Regardless, there is NOT a yellowjacket nest in the tree.

Either way, the best thing is to just wait 2-3 weeks. Colder temps
will solve the problem.

Best wishes,
Everett

-------------------------------- -
Everett Kaser Software
POB 403 Albany OR USA 97321-0117
http://www.kaser.com

Bill Gaskill

Bless you,  Everett. Gosh I miss your knowledge bombs.

The internet just isn't great for this sort of nuanced analysis and reassurance.

--------------------------------                                    -
Everett Kaser Software
POB 403 Albany OR USA 97321-0117
http://www.kaser.com

Bill wrote...
Bless you, Everett. Gosh I miss your knowledge bombs.
The internet just isn't great for this sort of nuanced analysis and
reassurance.
Thanks, Bill, always (well, every 2-3 years...) happy ta be of soivis.
:-)))

Best wishes,
Everett

-------------------------------- -
Everett Kaser Software
POB 403 Albany OR USA 97321-0117
http://www.kaser.com

Mike Storrs

r/EverettBombs

On Tue, Nov 2, 2021 at 9:04 AM Everett Kaser <everett@...> wrote:
Bill wrote...
> Bless you,  Everett. Gosh I miss your knowledge bombs.

> The internet just isn't great for this sort of nuanced analysis and
> reassurance.

Thanks, Bill, always (well, every 2-3 years...) happy ta be of soivis.
:-)))

Best wishes,
Everett

Everett Kaser Software
POB 403 Albany OR USA 97321-0117
http://www.kaser.com

Robert Voss

Great write up Everett. I appreciate the knowledge!

Best,

Rob