Topics

COVID-19 Update

Robert Voss

Dear disc golf family,

The Willamette Disc Golf Club (WDGC) is proactively addressing the rapidly developing issues related to the current coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. First and foremost, our hearts go out to anyone who's been impacted by the virus, either directly or indirectly. WDGC cares about the health and well being of our members and community and in consideration will be using an abundance of caution going forward.

In keeping with the directives handed down by State and Federal leaders to not gather in groups, WDGC tournaments will be postponed until further notice. We plan to reschedule if this doesn’t go on for too long. If it does, then we will carefully select what to cancel in order to reschedule the more important events.

WDGC Leagues will also be canceled until at least April 1, including Sunday doubles. I thought long and hard about trying to schedule groups and tee times and using PayPal and all that, but it just isn’t worth it for me to jump through all those hoops when we don’t even get to hang out together – which is most of the fun of it! We can still play disc golf; it just will not be disc golf organized by WDGC for the time being.

I think disc golf is one of the few things that can still be positive in these times and may be an integral part of many people's coping as we get through this. Schedule yourselves to get together in small groups, use fist bumps or foot taps instead of shaking hands, don’t touch each other’s discs for a while (clear your own putts and before the next disc touches yours), don’t pass the smokes, frequently use hand sanitizer and wash your hands, as some examples.

I am not a medical professional and those are only a couple things I thought of specific to disc golf, but will help in any case. More information on how to protect yourself (and others!) can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html.

I really am sorry to do this, and am aware some folks do not agree, but it is the right thing for the club to do with our current knowledge. We will reevaluate at the end of these 2 weeks.

Thank you for your understanding. Stay safe and healthy.

Robert Voss
President, Event Director
Willamette Disc Golf Club

Greg Johnson

Thank you for the leadership Robert, in an unprecedented time in the history of our world.
Stay safe everyone.