Topics

Newport DGC hole sponsorship proposal [1 Attachment]

Greg Johnson

Club members present at the meeting tonight voted in favor of sponsoring a hole for the Newport course.

Greg J

On Jul 8, 2012, at 10:48 PM, "Jay Sexton" <hexagon@...> wrote:

WDGC folks,

I cannot attend the WDGC meeting while I am working in Portland but I
would like to urge you to consider and apporve a $300 hole sponsorship for
the Newport Disc Golf Course.

Toni and I met with Alma Baxter from Newport and toured the very raw disc
golf course. She is a new Disc Golf player and the central figure in the
Newport Ford Family Foundation Leadership Training Group - they chose an
18 disc golf course as their class project. Alma is the only person in the
group who new about disc golf. She is interested in getting this course in
the ground and then moving on to trying to get more courses along the
coast. It is important that we support this ambitious project.

The course is on land near the Community College in Newport - it is south
of the bridge about a half a mile and interior of Hwy 101. It is located
on timber company land which is being leased by the city of Newport for 15
years. The land is in coastal spruce forest with some elevational relief -
in the form of gullies that create some interesting and visual challenges.
The course is technical with lots of trees, and over time this will be
fine tuned to create adequate fairways. One of the leadership group
members has a earthmoving company and will be working on the course with
bulldozers and heavy equipment. Once the group has raised the money with
the hole sponsorships they will be matched with $5000 from the Ford Family
Foundation.

Toni and I were impressed with the course layout - a fellow from St.
Louis, newly moved to Oregon, whose name is slipping my mind, toured the
course with us. He had been involved in the design. Most holes are 180 to
350 feet and technical. One open hole may come in at about 600 feet.
Several holes have interesting throws across ravines. I look forward to
playing this course once it is installed.

As soon as they have gathered the 18 hole sponsorships they will order the
baskets. They presently have 15 sponsorship committments, and Toni, Nate,
Colin, Brianna, and I plan on doing one hole ourselves. The Newport DG
group would like to complete their sponsorships by July 10th and they
accept verbal committments.

Tees will be either gravel pads or concrete panels which might be moved by
heavy equipment. The course may be modified over time as logging
activities dictate - but the location near the community college and the
15 year lease should make this rare.

Attached is the initial map. Let me know if the WDGC approves this and I
will let Alma know.
Jay

=