Last edited · 3 revisions  

 


Willamette Disc Golf Club Monthly Meeting.

October 2nd, 2017. 7:00 PM

 

Present: Bob Burton,  Kelly Christiansen, Sean DeLoherty, Bryce Downey, Billie Gaskill, Richard Hervey, Scott Hessel,  Greg Johnson, Bear Judge, Everett Kaser, Ron Lee, Will Mayfield,  John Ross, Mike Storrs, (Presiding).

 

Treasurer (Greg). Current balance $1700.  Disc Inventory is depleted but that isn’t felt to be a big problem.  Sean suggested some ideas for selling some club discs at Handicap meetings on Saturdays which he is doing now with Eric. Greg will provide Sean with a supply of discs.

 

Willamette Park: Scott made the proposal to put a basket in the long position of hole 1 of Willamette so that either a short or the long position could be played.   Billie reported that he has gotten clearance from the City Parks people to operate the club lawn-mower  at Willamette. He urged the club to repair the second donated riding lawnmower so that we have a fall-back.  Each of these machines has miles on it and could break down at any time.

 

Nominations for club officers:

President:   Billie Gaskill was nominated , seconded, accepted.

Richard Hervey was nominated; nomination was seconded, accepted.

Sean DeLoherty was nominated, seconded, and accepted.

Everett Kaser pointed out the declining energy of the club and the difficulty of getting new members with energy.

Richard Hervey discussed the style of meetings and the impression of our meetings  being friendly gathering of buddies rather than a business-focused meeting.  He had some suggestions for rejuvenating the club.

Billie expressed his preference with working as Greenskeeper at Willamette(see below), and talked about his schedule which precludes his being present at every club meeting.

 

Treasurer:  Greg agreed to continue in the roll of treasurer.  (He further stated that he is the only current club member authorized for the club bank account at US Bank.  Grandfathered account status might be difficult to replace so that changing treasurer might require changing bank as well.

 

Secretary: Bob Burton agreed to continue his taking of minutes when he is present; whether this was adequate was considered.  The suggestion of  having the president ask a member present to take over for Bob in his absence was considered as a possible way to regularize the production of  minutes.  Some people felt it quite important to get the minutes back to the membership in a timely manner (by email).

 

Willamette Greenskeeper:  Billie Gaskill has already established a rapport with people at the City dept of Parks and Rec and expressed his interest in continuing this work as the designated greenskeeper, now that Greg Alpert has stepped down from that job. 

 

Adair Greenskeeper:  Shawn Barry, after Billie relieved him of his responsibility for several months, has said he thinks he can return to that job.

 

Vice President:  A motion to create the annually elected office of vice president was made and seconded.  Discussion about amending bylaws ensued.  We consulted Bylaws and concluded that a 2/3 majority of club members voting was the requirement.  Those present felt that the vice president could enhance our club function in several ways:   by chairing WDGC meetings in which the president had to be absent, by attending the City Parks and Rec Board meetings,  by getting familiar with the job of president so that some possible succession could occur, although others did not want the vice president to be the “president-elect”, as that would create a multi-year committment that is hard, especially for younger more mobile members to make and keep.

The amendment to our Bylaws to create the position of Vice President passed by unanimous vote of the thirteen members present at that time.  The amendment will not be considered part of the bylaws until we have sent out ballots (email) and have waited  a week or so for responses.  Then 2/3rds or more of the total votes must be in favor.  Bob Burton agreed to do this.

 

In addition, the Meeting felt that the Bylaws section (Article VIII) dealing with amendments needed clarification:

 

The current language:

====================================================================

ARTICLE VIII- AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS

Section 1: These bylaws may be approved by a two-thirds majority of the WDGC which votes on this issue.

 

Section 2: These bylaws may be revised or amended by a two-thirds majority of the WDGC. Proposed amendments must be submitted to the Secretary to be sent out with regular Club announcements. 

 

This revision of the Bylaws supercedes all previous Bylaws and their provisions and amendments. These Bylaws were approved at a meeting of the Willamette Disc Golf Club on January 5, 2009

====================================================================

 

The revised language is felt to be clarifying the original intent:

====================================================================

ARTICLE VIII- AMENDMENTS TO THE BYLAWS

Section 1: These bylaws may be approved by a two-thirds majority of the WDGC which votes on this issue.

 

Section 2: These bylaws may be revised or amended by a two-thirds majority of the WDGC which votes on this issue. Proposed amendments must be submitted to the Secretary to be sent out with regular Club announcements. 

====================================================================

 

After all the discussion, the nominations proposed by the club as a nominating committee were:

President: Sean Delougherty

Vice-President: Richard Hervey

Treasurer: Greg Johnson 

Secretary: Bob Burton

 

Willamette Open TD (Ron Lee) Club thanked Ron in absentia for his work. (Later Ron made a cameo appearance, too late to vote in the recorded club votes).

Note: next month’s meeting will begin at 6 PM and will include election of officers for 2018.

 

Respectfully submitted, Bob Burton, secy.